2012 was a fabulous year; not only did I start the Local Lux website but it has taken off and become more than I could have imagined. The local luxuries I have experienced over the last 6 months have been spectacular – read the Best of Local Lux in 2012 – and I am looking forward to everything that is to come in 2013.
That said, although I have barely made a dent in all of the wines available in Niagara, I wanted to share with you some of the wines that I have enjoyed the most during my travels.
The ones marked with a star – ✪ – are my favourite favourites
- Henry of Pelham Family Estate – 2010 Baco Noir ✪
- Rosewood Winery – 2009 Pinot Noir Reserve Wild Ferment ✪
- Kacaba Vineyards – 2010 Reserve Syrah
- Lailey Vineyard – 2009 Brickyard Pinot Noir
- Pearl Morissette Estate Winery – Cuvee Madeline 2007 Cab Franc
- Stratus Winery – 2008 Sauv Blanc ✪
- Thirty Bench Wine Makers – 2011 Riesling ✪
- 13th Street Winery – 2011 Viognier
- Pillitteri Estates Winery – 2011 Gewürztraminer Riesling Fusion
- Sue-Ann Staff Estate Winery – 2011 Riesling Loved by Lu
ICEWINE & DESSERT WINES
- Pillitteri Estates Winery – 2008 Cab Sauv Icewine ✪
- Pillitteri Estates Winery – 2009 Exclamation Sauv Blanc Icewine
- The Ice House Winery – 2007 Northern Ice Vidal Icewine Slushie ✪
- Rosewood Winery – 2008 Mead Royale
- Vineland Estates Winery – 2007 Vidal Select Late Harvest
Well, there you have it. My favourites from all that I tasted in 2012 within Niagara.
Now it’s your turn – for 2013 I’m very interested in knowing what your favourite Niagara (and beyond) wines are and what you’d suggest that I make a point to try. Please leave your comments or find me on Facebook or Twitter. And, if you’re feeling extra generous you can even send me a bottle!